Re: [foxboro] Documents

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:59:05 -0500

Here are the possibilities that come to mind:

Adobe Acrobat reader.  You can get it for Solaris 2.5.  The only drawback
is that you normally have to have the "writer" package on a PC somewhere to
create the PDF files, but I've seen some open-source ways to do this as
well....

You might also investigate a Web browser.  The bad part is that Netscape
4.7 is the only one I've been able to get to run on Solaris 2.5 (I haven't
tried compiling Mozilla).  And you'd probably have to take steps to keep
the operators from randomly surfing.

And the low tech solution: use a text editor, preferably in some kind of
read-only mode.

All of the above, unfortunately, have the disadvantage that they are
separate windows that can occlude your DM/FV window, and may not work at
all in full-screen mode.

The "read file" function in DM/FV.  I haven't played with this myself, so
cannot comment on its complexity.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

|         |           "Stear, Bo"      |
|         |           <stear@xxxxxxx>  |
|         |           foxboro-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org      |
|         |           10/11/2002 08:58 |
|         |           foxboro          |

  |               To:  "Foxboro Mail Forum (E-mail)"
                                                  |
  |        cc:
                                                  |
  |        Subject: [foxboro] Documents

What, if any, are the best methods to give access to documents such as
SOP's to operators from the Foxboro Workstation screens?  Their simple
request is to be able to punch a button on a display and have the SOP
appear on the screen.  I assume a complicated resolution......