Re: [foxboro] Documents

  • From: "Deo, Terry" <Terry.Deo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:16:31 -0400

A word of caution about textedit.  Opening a file with the read_only =
parameter applies only to that file!  If an operator opens another file =
from the textedit menu that file will be read/write.  Since by default =
they are running as root, this is very dangerous.  Having said that, we =
do use textedit to display documents (like interlock lists etc) to the =
operators but I had to secure the file access as follows:

When the document is requested via the FoxView menu a script is run that =
su's to a dedicated user ID that is configured to use the rksh, =
restricted shell.  Under this ID and shell the operator only has access =
to the home directory where the data files reside.  This is not fool =
proof in that the operator can modify any of the data files in this one =
directory but at least cannot get to other critical system files.

Terry J. Deo
Process Control Systems Engineer
Infineum USA L.P.
Bayway Chemical Plant