Re: [foxboro] Convert a Foxboro P91 Server from a P91 Dell Power Edge 2800 to a new Dell Power Edge 2900

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:16:36 -0600

In Foxboro's defense (yes, I really said that :), it would be mostly this
way with nearly any modern OS running on commodity PC hardware**.

The places I see it being more difficult than it has to (in this
particular scenario) are:

1. Commercial backup software packages not providing all the functionality
you need, such that you have to buy two of them (Symantec/Acronis).

2. I/A software relying on MAC addresses of Ethernet cards.  Yes, there's
a registry hack to get around it, but hey, how about an automated tool?

3. Foxboro AIM* licensing being tied to the Windows SID.  I realize
they're worried about piracy, but we DCS guys have enough to worry about
without being treated like criminals (which is an attitude not limited to
Foxboro, for sure).  At least on Suns you could swap the NVRAM chip.  One
of those hardware dongles might even be better here (with the option to
have a backup for $100 or so).

4. Windows (and Microsoft zombies' ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H independent software
developers') insistence on registry usage (Microsoft's 2nd worst idea
ever, or maybe 1st worst, depending on how bad you think spaces in
filenames, or Bob, or Windows Mobile, or...ok, I'll get on with it). Using
.ini or other text configuration files makes this kind of thing MUCH
easier.  Unix has been making that work for years.  I personally refuse to
use the registry for any of my own programming.  And movements like
PortableApps.com (and similar commercial offerings) and liveCDs tell me
that I'm not the only one tired of it.

** To completely get around this, I still think you have to use
virtualization or something.  Get your VMware ESX or Xen running on your
new box, copy over your VM image that is your I/A installation, plug in
dongles/enter license keys and go.

But in your defense, Fritz, I too would rather jump out of windows than
into Windows.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Schouten, Frits JF" <Frits.Schouten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/18/2009 03:20 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Convert a Foxboro P91 Server from a P91 Dell Power Edge 2800
to a new Dell Power Edge 2900

Thanks Tom, for this extensive procedure you just wrote.

But when is the penny going to drop at FoxboroHQ(IPS), that Windoze is
not the right platform in a Process Control Environment?!?!?
Turning over the hardware every other year is just not acceptable.

Well, that's my penny worth.
Mind you a truly P&P Foxboro system sounds somewhat attractive.

Cheers,
Frits Schouten
NZSteel.