Re: [foxboro] Color Printer

  • From: "Kevin FitzGerrell" <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:52:43 +1200

For a nice postscript printer I lend my vote to the 2280.  Last I heard the
2280 was Foxboro's latest Postscript printer shipping.  The HP950 was the
PCL3 printer but that's no longer a current printer so Foxboro may be
shipping something else.

The 2280tn (2280 + ethernet port and second paper tray) has been popular
here, direct connect parallel to AW or WP, and use the ethernet port to
print from PCs in the control room.  Sharing the printer between the
corporate network and the I/A system this way has been good to keep the
printhead from drying out in between print jobs if not much is printed from
the I/A system.

If you have a harsh environment and just want an inexpensive printer than
can be tossed when it stops working, I had no problems setting up an HP3820
this week.  This printer should be less than $100 US.  Printouts don't look
as nice as the Postscript printers, but are very readable.  The formfeed
light blinks after print jobs, but ignoring it seems to cause no problems
for the next print job.  An HP 990c worked fine recently too, but same issue
with the light over the form feed button.  Anyone know how to fix that?

Read Angel Corbrera's printer guide at:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5825/Contents.htm
for great info about choosing a printer, setting it up and troubleshooting
it if it's not working.
For systems up to version 6.2 follow his additional steps closely for your
type of printer (postscript or PCL3).  Version 6.2.1 to 6.4 have made a
number of the QFs or other steps unnecessary.  Installing a PCL3 printer on
an AW51E with 6.4 I/A required a committal, creating
/etc/printscreen.options, /etc/printscreen/printers and issuing the command
(for D and E boxes):
lpadmin -p LPxx -H

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell