Re: [foxboro] Cisco switches vs Interesys

  • From: "pop.gmail.com" <tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:15:37 -0500

Stan,
        Foxboro and Enterasys are working together to make some of the
Enterasys switches work the way the MESH needs them to.  They aren't
even qualifying all Enterasys switches, (only a small subset).  I have
gathered that sub-second failover over of redundant modules and paths is
one of the key issues.  Their will be very specific firmware and
settings in the switches and Foxboro has already warned us that there
will be no guarantees of functionality unless you use their version of
firmware and the settings they determine.  In order for Cisco switches
to work on the MESH, Foxboro will also have to qualify the specific
Cisco switches you intend to use.  When Foxboro first advertised the
MESH they hyped the use of COTS, (Commercial Off The Shelf), switches
but now that has changed to only the specific, (COTS), switches they
qualify;)
        Duc told me that they asked users at the Houston UG meeting to submit
switches they wanted to see qualified so you should probably do that if
you want to use Cisco switches.  We are making plans to use the
Enterasys switches they are qualifying because I've seen folks bitten
too many times in the past when they try to out-guess Foxboro's
intentions.  When they get down to requiring specific NIC's with
specific firmware in order to communicate with their equipment, you
should know that the switches will be highly customized also.
        In Foxboro's defense, they are trying to make things backward
compatible on a system that was designed in the mid 1980's while
utilizing the latest communication technology and that would be a tall
order in anyone's book.
Cheers,
Tom VandeWater