Re: [foxboro] Can't figure out a way to justify it.

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:25:09 -0500

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 06:01:09PM -0500, Johnson, Alex (Foxboro) wrote:
> I wish I had the key to offering something that would drive replacements.
>
> So, what would justify an upgrade in the minds of you folks - short of the
> "rip it out because we have a new system and won't support our existing one"
> that some vendors use.
>

> I'd really appreciate your thoughts on what would drive the brownfield sites
> to upgrade.

OK, I'll take a crack at that.

1. Offer us something we _want_ to justify (that's spelled UNIX!).
2. Offer increased reliabilty (Longer MTF, lower MTR).
3. Enhance self diagnostics.
4. Offer better easier to understand control functionality.
5. Make configuration easier.
6. Make configuration documentation easier.
7. Provide enhabce conectivity to open databases.

That's my first thougts on this.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin