Re: [foxboro] CALC vs. IND question

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:35:06 -0500

"Leave empty steps here and
there if possible, for inserting additional instructions."

This got to be such a PITA that I actually have a script that downloads a
CALC/CALCA/LOGIC block using iccprt, strips everything but the steps, and
sticks that in a text file.  I vi that, then run another set of scripts
that renumbers the steps, packages it into an ICC driver task input file,
and uploads it.  They're ugly but they work.

I think the Feedforward guys put up a VB CALC code editor on their site,
but I never used it, primarily because I didn't have a PC handy and
connected when I first started slinging CALC block code.

But I still follow that advice, because it is faster than exiting my ICC
session, running the scripts, then getting back into my ICC session to
finish the rest of the configuration.

I'm also mulling over making a custom detail display for CALC blocks so I
can see the comments, as well as other parameters I need together in one
place.  Like many of the supplied detail displays, the CALC block's does
not utilize screen real estate very effectively.

I ought to start a new thread, but how many on the list have built their
own detail displays and/or faceplates?  What were the pros/cons?  We are
talking here a lot about human factors aspects, better graphics, etc. and
more and more I think that I could make some improvements in the factory
fare.  Of course anyone who came from a stock I/A system might be lost --
or kissing the screen.  Who knows?

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

Jerry Hidahl <Jerry_Hidahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/27/2008 01:21 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] CALC vs. IND question

Comments don't show up very well on the detail display (limited space).
They show up best in the configurator. Needless to say, they don't show up
at all, if no one puts them in. (The same is just as true for any kind of
HLBL block.) Recently, I've made a practice of developing any kind of
CALC/LOGIC/MATH/CALCA block on an Excel spread sheet off-line. It enables
me to put as many comments in as I like, including the various I/O
parameter entries or connections. It also allows me to move steps around
make room, and to figure out step numbers for branching, before I've coded
anything in the configurator. It's easier to see the big picture on your
PC
or a piece of paper than on the detail display or the configurator.

This brings me to another helpful practice: Leave empty steps here and
there if possible, for inserting additional instructions. The first time
you have to reenter three-quarters of the steps because you found a bug,
you'll understand why "white space" (empty steps) is your friend.

Jerry Hidahl
Process Control Engineer
Port Neches Performance Products
Huntsman Corporation