Re: [foxboro] AW70 Shutdown

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:37:34 -0600

But for some applications, they make sense (e.g., OPC gateways), even to a
die-hard Unixhead like me.  Unfortunately, ours is locking up about once
every couple of months (but not, alas, blue-screening, so NT's auto-reboot
mechanism does not work), so I'll probably have to do the icon thing so we
can "preemptively" reboot.  I wonder if XP would fix this.

On thing I like about the widespread adoption of Windoze is that it has
opened the market up a bit, allowing and maybe encouraging vendors which
did not traditionally play in the DCS space to offer systems that have a
lot of DCS functionality at a fraction of the "old-school" DCS price.  This
has removed the DCS vendors from their high horses a bit, forcing them to
open their systems, rethink their architectures (with mixed results,
sometimes :), and lower prices.  It's too bad that after 10 years or so in
existence, Windoze itself is not yet completely up to the task of
industrial control.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Opinions expressed here are strictly my own"  :)

|         |           "Jones, Charles  |
|         |           R. (Chuck)"      |
|         |           <CRJones@xxxxxxxx|
|         |           >                |
|         |           foxboro-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org      |
|         |           01/09/2004 08:47 |
|         |           foxboro          |

  |              To:  "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
                                                 |
  |              cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [foxboro] AW70 Shutdown

"...and I need to reboot the AW70 as elegantly as possible..."  What is
"rebooting"?

We run the 51 series instead of the 70 series.  Our processors only go down
if the power grid goes down (3 or 4 times in 10 years).  Am I supposed to
turn them off periodically?  Why?  Is this a "Microsoft advantage" thing?
The only problem I've noticed so far is that after about six years of
continuous operation, the picture tubes on the monitors begin to lose
colors
(usually red goes first) and need to be replaced.

Sorry.  You guys write about the "whiz bang" new stuff all the time.  Since
our UNIX system never breaks, we never see the new stuff.  (Insert
crocodile
tears here.)  <smile>

Cheers,

Chuck Jones
Refinery Automation
Tate & Lyle North America -- Lafayette South Plant