Re: [foxboro] AIM* collector failure

  • From: "Brown, Stanley" <stan.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:18:53 -0400

We use the CP seconds counter as a watchdog for our PI system. Might
be a good start for you.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 22, 2010, at 19:52, "Gunter, Matt" <Matt.Gunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please bear with me while I describe this scenario...
>

> 1)      We are running AIM* (3.3.1) off platform.
>
> 2)      We are running I/A 7.1.5 (all Solaris boxes).
>
> 3)      We took four pair of redundant CPs off line.  This included
> taking them "off line" in the System Monitor (probably an unnecessary
> step), then cutting power to them.
>
> 4)      After completing the needed facility work, we restored power.
> All CPs came up "on line."
>
> 5)      We thought everything was OK but determined some days later
> that
> no data from one of the CP pairs was being collected by AIM*.  This
> particular pair was in a rack with two other pair, the data for which
> was collecting just fine.
>

> Restoring data collection was a simple matter of rebooting the
> redundant
> CPs.  This means that we did not have to restart either the remote, or
> local collectors.  Fortunately we had not been processing using those
> CPs, but the lack of data could otherwise have been a disaster.  As a
> result, our method of powering up a CP (for any reason) will have to
> include determining if its data is successfully being collected.
> Seems
> pretty simple until the time we forget - which, of course, could be
> "the
> disaster."
>

> We are currently cooking up an method to continuously test to see data
> from all CPs are successfully being collected and that the AIM* server
> is actually alive.  I just wondered if anyone else has seen this
> behavior, what the cause might be, and what can be/has been done to
> prevent it - maybe we can put our cookbooks away.
>

> Thanks to all!
>

> Matt
>
> ATK Space Systems

> Process
> Systems (formerly The Foxboro Company). Use the info you obtain here
> at
> your own risks. Read http://www.thecassandraproject.org/
> disclaimer.html

> foxboro
> to subscribe:         mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?
> subject=join
> to unsubscribe:      mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?
> subject=leave

The information contained in this message and any attached files may be
privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please so notify
the sender immediately without reading it. Also, please promptly destroy the
original transmission and its attachments. Any views or opinions presented in
this message or attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation or its subsidiaries.