From: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Corey R Clingo
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:32 AM
To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [foxboro] 8.5 Domain Controller

Hmmm...I'm surprised that in 2010 an AD domain controller can't be be
dual-homed.  Microsoft must be too focused on inventing the next Kin to
fix such a trivial little problem as that.

But, knowing less than squat about all this, and in light of some recent
list emails about locating the server for IEE off-mesh so you can use all
4 cores (which apparently are required for the heavy lifting involved),
how do you get this server machine into the domain?

Corey Clingo
BASF

"Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/03/2010 08:17 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] 8.5 Domain Controller

Dave,

Re: My understanding is that using the security options in 8.5 requires a
MS Domain, with a domain controller.
You are correct.

Re: Does the domain controller communicate over the mesh, or do they use
the secondary ethernet ports of the AW/WPs?
The only officially supported position is for the Domain Controllers to
be:
1) On the MESH (IOM restriction)
2) Not dual homed (MS restriction)

Of course, other configurations may work, but we haven't tested or
documented them at this point. We do have a Security group that can assist
with special situations.

Re: Also would it be allowable to run any other software on the domain
controller since this box is doing almost nothing (processing & network
wise).
The answer is no. MS says nothing on a DC. Of course, they are thinking
about DCs with 10,000s of users, but never the less we do not have
permission to load anything else on the box.

Re: This would be a great place to store engineering drawings, or other
items that might need to be accessed by engineers on an AW without having
access to the larger mill network.
True, but not available.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)
+1 713 329 1600 (operator)
+1 713 329 1944 (SSC Fax)
+1 713 329 1700 (Central Fax)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx (current)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (good until September 2010)

Attend OpsManage'10
Real Collaboration. Real-Time Results.

The information contained in this message and any attached files may be
privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please so notify
the sender immediately without reading it. Also, please promptly destroy the
original transmission and its attachments. Any views or opinions presented in
this message or attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation or its subsidiaries.