Re: [foxboro] 8.5 Domain Controller

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Boulay, Russ" <Russ.Boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:31:43 -0400

I think my opinion on this whole situation is piety well known. But, I also
believe in having a "fair and balanced" discussion of things. As you can
see from my posting yesterday, I did defend some of the things that we are
being driven to.

But, I don't believe this is a fair comment (Sorry Russ). From a hardware
perspective, the only difference between an 8.5 (or beyond) secure
solution vs an "standard" solution, is 2 P90/P91 machines. Based upon our
current 8.5 secure project design we are finding that we need a much higher
machine count that a similar system that we have already deployed using
Unix technology.

I understand thta the higher machine count is based upon MS's "best
practices" recommendation (and Foxboro's) of restricting the number of
applications that we run on each machine, and also understand that this is
based upon MS's different design decisions that are considered acceptable in
the UNIX community. For example shade library paths, and installing
software in separate directories, rather than putting it all in /usr/lib for
instance.

Still, it does require more machines for a MS based solution, even if you
do not choose the secure option.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.