Re: [foxboro] 100 Series FBM Reliability Data

  • From: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:44:10 +0200

We have a fair number of FBM100's, from '95. Can't say we experienced any
reliability problems over the past 12 years. Some minor channel problems,
probably due to incorrect connections.  We do have some cards going offline
occasionally, but after replacement of the cards the problem remained, so
the problem probably resides in the mounting structures....We also have a
large amount of FBM 100 spares, so we're not thinking of replacing our old
FBM100's, there's no way I can justify to management why we should be
replacing them....
We also have the new FBM200's, I like them better, because they're cheaper,
consume less space and allow for very clean and neat wiring in our new
cabinets. Replacing the old ones however would mean downtime, and a
considerable investment, which at this time cannot be justified.

Rgds,

Dirk Pauwels - DCS/MOC coordinator
Engineering dept.
Hexion Specialty Chemicals
E mail: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
T.  +32.(0)3.570.95.97
F.  +32.(0)3.570.16.09
Mob. +32.(0)497.428.300

             <dave.caldwell@do
             wcorning.com>
             foxboro-bounce@fr         <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             18-10-2007 23:31          [foxboro] 100 Series FBM
                                       Reliability Data

             Please respond to
             foxboro@freelists
                   .org

All Knowing List,

I need help in justifying to management why we should be replacing the
1989 vintage 100 series FBMs in our plant with brand new 200 series. The
question is being asked how much longer can we continue to run before
these FBMs start to fail (never mind that they aren't being made
anymore).

We have collected failure data from our own plant that suggests that at
least some of the FBMs are showing signs of aging. I base this on a
marked increase in EEPROM upgrades for the very oldest FBM04s in recent
years.

I've looked at the data Foxboro provides for 100 series reliability in
the past, and don't think their numbers show any big failure increase.
(In fact, I think some of the FBMs actually improved with age!) Of
course, this data is most likely based on returned FBMs and some folks
may just be putting their old ones in a dumpster.

Anyway, my questions for the list are:
* Does anyone have any failure data on very early 100 series FBMs?
* Are there signs that these are reaching end-of-life?
* Is there a reliability justification for replacing these older
modules?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dave