[foxboro] Shortahd for loopback connections (was:Inhibit alarms; NOT)

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:30:41 -0500

This discussion brings to mind another issue that's been rolling around in
my head like a BB in a glass jar for some time.  We are now up to as many
as 5-10 of these "loopback" connections in some blocks to prevent
ill-advised operator changes. I have pretty much concluded (and others on
this list seem to agree) that configuring these loopback connections is
the best and surest way to accomplish this.

Restricting alarming changes gives a good example of the magnitude of this
problem; you would have to loopback connect INHIB, INHALM, xxGP, xxPR, the
trip point(s) of interest, and maybe xxDB.

What I was wondering is:  what is the feasibility of providing a shorthand
for these connections, even shorter than the dropping of the compound that
is used now; something like, say, ::INHIB.0?  This would give my bloody
nubs a much-needed rest.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/05/2006 08:56 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Inhibit alarms; NOT

David,

In your alarm block (C1:AIN1) parameter INHALM (packed bool) you make a =
connection in ICC to 0x0 (zero x zero)

This will prevent any omset of the C1:AIN1.INHALM parameter including =
the=20
default display for C1:AIN1 individual alarm inhibits.

However, the INHIBIT ALL function will still work from the default =
display.
You need to secure the C1:AIN1.INHIB (boolean) parameter to prevent =
omset of that parameter.

The two parameters (INHALM and INHIB) need to be secured.

Terry