[foxboro] Question on IACC database limit

  • From: <Adam.Pemberton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:18:03 +1000

I'm sitting in an IACC course and we're discussing the issue of database
limits.

The instructor has informed us that IACC can only handle a maximum of 5
databases. Given that any IACC database can also only handle 16,000
objects (usually blocks), this represents a total limitation of 80,000
blocks and given the real need to keep room for expansion and logical
grouping of CP's, means that more than 40,000 blocks total will become
very problematic. This represents only about 3 times our current system
and we are by no means a big Foxboro installation (approx 4 online
CP270's and 6 CP40A/B's).

Questions are:

1.      Is this 5 database limit real? Surely they're just files on a
harddisk?
2.      If it is, how are big sites suppose to manage this?

Another side issue is that IACC explicitly includes a system definition
and (from V2.1 onwards) performs all SysDef operations. This means that
each separate database should have a system definition for the entire
system, even though it will only contain the compound and CSD
information for a subset.

What's the recommended method for keeping each in sync, for example,
when a new CP or Workstation is added?

Regards

Adam Pemberton

Lihir Gold Ltd