[foxboro] P91 Windows 2003 Hard Disk Failure Fix

  • From: "Rick Mol" <rdmol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:56:01 -0400

Greetings, all wise and all knowing list.

Recently our Dell PowerEdge 2800 P91 server has experienced what
appears to be hard disk failures on two different drives.  The light on
the drive shows amber.

After doing some digging this seems to be the fix.

1.  Install the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator application.  It's
located on the Dell CDs that came with the server. This allows access to
the management and diagnostic utilities.   It was used in this case to
manage drives, rebuild, etc. . Use this when replacing a drive.  (In our
case the drive was rebuilt and failed several hours later.)

2.  From the Dell web site, support.dell.com, enter the service tag of
the server and look for both SCSI Raid controller firmware updates and
SCSI drive firmware updates.
     An update was listed for both the drive and controller firmware.
The controller update was to fix timeout errors, that was marked urgent,
the drive update was for error handling and recovery fixes, marked
recommended.

3.  The SCSI controller firmware update is a Windows app. Download and
install. Make sure that no disk operations are in progress, like
rebuilding.

4.  The drive update needed a bootable CD.  Download the file and run,
it creates a .iso image. Burn that to a CD.  Boot the server from the CD
and follow the prompts.  The utility scanned and updated the drives. Not
all of the drives needed an update.

5.  I get to tell management that all the time spent getting the
Microsoft certifications wasn't wasted...

The usual disclaimers apply; Professional driver, closed course. Your
mileage may vary.

Please contact me off list if I can be of any further help.

Regards,

Rick Mol
ESCO Company
IT/Automation Admin.