[foxboro] Interest Check - Compound Alarm Updater Tool (FCS)

  • From: "Neufeld, Brahm" <Brahm.Neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:04:45 -0600

Hi list,
I have a contribution rather than a question.

The problem: I couldn’t easily update 100’s of Compound Alarm Devices (eg
GR1DV1) on 100’s of Compounds when we added, removed or replaced a Foxboro
workstation to our network.

The *partial* solution: The FCS/Galaxy can generate a Compounds.csv data dump
file using DirectAccess (see B0750BM). Opening this in Excel, I deleted all the
columns (parameters) I didn’t want to change, and modified the contents of the
remaining columns (DESCRP, GR1DV1, etc). Then I wrote a script in Python to
format those changes into an XML file that could be applied to FCS/Galaxy with
DirectAccess.

The *better* solution: I figured out how to compile my script into an .exe, so
my coworkers (or anyone) can use it. The workflow:
- Do a .CSV export of your FCS/Galaxy (can take a while – we schedule one to
occur weekly, late at night).
- Modify Compounds.csv file to your heart’s content. Delete irrelevant columns
& save.
- Place Compounds.csv in same folder as compound_alarm_updater.exe +
Python34.dll.
- Compound Alarm Updater reads Compounds.csv and builds an output.xml file of
all Compound alarm group changes.
- The output.xml file can be run in DirectAccess and applies changes.
- As configured, the .xml file will *NOT* auto-deploy anything. The last step
is reviewing/deploying all your changed compounds to CPs.

Anyone interested in giving it a test drive? I’ve only tested the .xml file
with FCS 5.0.0.0/ArchestrA 3.6.001 on Server 2008 and I/A 9.0, and the Compound
Alarm Updater tool on a Win 7 64-bit desktop. Shoot me an email.

If I have over-engineered this and there’s a solution I've overlooked, I'm very
interested in hearing the details.

Cheers,

Brahm Neufeld
Agrium Vanscoy

For more information on Agrium’s E-Mail Policy or to unsubscribe, click here:
http://www.agrium.com/email_footer_en.jsp
Pour plus de renseignements sur la politique de courrier électronique d’Agrium
ou pour vous désabonnez, cliquez ici : http://www.agrium.com/email_footer_fr.jsp