[foxboro] HLBL Language and missing math functions PER Rejected

  • From: "Bruley, Peter T" <Peter.T.Bruley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:34:23 -0700

I wrote a Product Enhancement Request to make HLBL more functional:

Problem Description:
The HLBL language associated with IND sequence blocks is too limited in the
math functions. For example how do I raise a number to the power of 3.456
(x^3.456) within the IND block? In C Programming language there is a MATH.h
header file that includes Trigonometric, Exponential, Logarithmic, Power
Functions along with other misc functions. In C there are also tools in the
stdlib.h that can convert ASCii strings to floats/integers (atof, atoi, atol,
etc) Maybe some more time functions would be nice to.

Suggested Solution:

Add a larger math function library to the HLBL compiler to incorporate more
math functions. Add other libraries to HLBL that can do string/ASCii to
float/integer conversions and vis-versa.

Expected Benefit:

Will be able to build complex curves such as steam tables, etc.

--------------------------------------

Here is the answer I received:

Dear Submitter,

Thank you for your submission to enhance this product. However, after careful
consideration, at this time there are no plans to include the requested
functionality in the product roadmap.

-----------------------------------

Perhaps if others on this list that believe this is a need enhancement could
write similar PER's then perhaps Foxboro would reconsider and this
functionality may be added in a future release.

What do other users do to build equations that can't be done in the CALC or IND
block because of limited math functions? or more precisely in my case a steam
table lookup?

Thank you,

Peter Bruley
Xcel Energy | Responsible By Nature
Plant Process Computer Analyst
Sherburne County Generating Plant
13999 Industrial Boulevard, Becker, MN 55308
P: 763.261.3821   F:  763.261.3040