[foxboro] FBM04 lockup

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:29:35 -0500

We had something strange happen the other day, and I post it here just to
see if anyone else has seen it.

Apparently the inputs on an FBM04 all froze.  We got no system or bad I/O
alarms (I went back through the sysmon messages and checked, and nothong
in the chain to the FBM was inhibited in System Management).  Failsafe
configuration is at its defaults, which is to hold last value, but we
still should have seen something in sysmon if the card failed.  Lights on
the card were green.

This condition remained for close to two weeks (yeah, don't get me started
on what else that means) until it was finally noticed in the face of
changing plant conditions.  Our I/E tech pulled/pushed the card and it
came back fine.  From what I am told, the outputs were still working, but
I can't confirm that.

As is typical with cosmic-ray-related phenomena like this, the plant
manager got worried, and wondered how many other FBMs could be frozen.  I
searched the CSC site and didn't find anything pertinent to what we saw --
CARs, HHs, etc.  The firmware on the card is pretty recent (61.1 IIRC).  I
want to replace it and get an engineering eval, but that hasn't happened
yet (don't get me started on that, either :)

Anyone seen anything like that before?

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation