[floss-cec] Re: new

  • From: "Binulal Narayanan" <binulal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:59:27 +0530

aaaaaaaaaargh! The world is round, Pramod :) How could you neglect so
complex a filesystem just because it's proprietary! :D

On 12/13/06, Pramod <xpramodp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

actually i meant just that... i had recompiled my kernel with a patch
before i knew about ntfs-3g (2-3 years back). On second and third thoughts,
and on consultation with some people in the FSF i decided not to use NTFS...

On 12/13/06, Vimal Joseph <vimalekm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Alan Haggai Alavi <alanhaggai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Writing to NTFS has not yet been recommended. But, it has worked fine
> for
> > me. But, the ethics.... are against it.
> Why there is an issue of ethics with the use of ntfs-3g which is
> released under a "Free Software" licence? The real issue is whether
> you want to use a proprietary non-standard file system (which keeps
> you in its control) or not. In other words, whether you want freedom
> or not...
> ~vimal
> College of Engineering Chengannur
> floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.freelists.org/list/floss-cec

Pramod P

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history"
         - Richard M Stallman

The more "why"s I ask about my self, the more mysterious it becomes.

Binulal N Achary
Pune, India