[floss-cec] Re: [fsug-kochi-discuss] Install and run Ubuntu without disturbing Windows

  • From: "Anivar Aravind" <anivar.aravind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Shiv Shankar" <sshankarp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:06:47 +0530

Want to take Linux for a spin? Forget partitions, dual-boot setups and live
CDs: The new Ubuntu Windows installer lets you run the Linux distro while
keeping the rest of your system intact. In other words, it's like a live CD
without the CD. Just run the installer, which in turn downloads a disk image
of Ubuntu (actually, your choice of four Ubuntu distros), and then reboot
your PC. Choose the desired boot option from the menu that appears, and
presto: You're running Linux. This is a working prototype, not a finished
product, so user beware. It didn't work on my Vista box (I discovered after
the fact that Vista isn't supported yet), but it ran like a gem on an XP
system. Great way to run Ubuntu without the hassles of partitioning or
burning a live CD!

Who needs freedom inside a jail?

Btw. Visit http://badvista.org

Anivar Aravind