[floss-cec] Re: Our latest plan...

  • From: "Amal Krishnan" <alterk0de@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 22:47:26 +0530

Heya !

Quoting ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

NOTHING DOING. There will be only a GNU/Linux system there. We will have
dual boot, but it will be locked up for any special use,,like you need to
connect a scanner or something.
------------------------- -------------------------
------------------------- -------------------------

Thanks ... atleast u agree that u need windows to do all those special
things !!!

Quoting ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

I don't think its a difficult thing to just open up FIrefox and surf and
save the necessary data on to a thumb drive. We are also making a page that
will tell any idiot how to go about doing common things
 ------------------------- -------------------------
------------------------- -------------------------

Thats kind ! ..... Well .. i request the We* to do something for college
site first ! ... And
better train all those staffs too !

Quoting ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

We have to force people in to this kind of a thing, coz else we will not
have any control on the p2p softwares.

 ------------------------- -------------------------
------------------------- -------------------------

Check out !

http://www.surfcontrol.com/

There's lots more ....

Quoting ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

MEC has full GNU/Linux there, so does NIT C. I think if they can cope up,
CEC also can

------------------------- -------------------------
------------------------- -------------------------

We shouldn't be imitating mec or any other college.Both windows and linux
are great Os'Z and a professional should have good skills in them both. Free
software isn't all about
Linux ! ... So do some other things to promote free s/w like making some
good free software for instance !! ...

To conclude, i'd like to take an analogy. Replacing all the European closets in our college with Indian ones won't do anything to promote Indian Ways ! .. As i said previously, freedom is abt having the right to make choices ! ... DUAL BOOT ! Also, this is not a flame ! ... just expressing my opinions ... Don't u love Free As in Free Speech ???

On 9/22/06, Githin Alapatt <githin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

NOTHING DOING. There will be only a GNU/Linux system there. We will have dual boot, but it will be locked up for any special use,,like you need to connect a scanner or something.

Thumb drives do open up on GNU/Linux also.

I don't think its a difficult thing to just open up FIrefox and surf and
save the necessary data on to a thumb drive. We are also making a page that
will tell any idiot how to go about doing common things.

We have to force people in to this kind of a thing, coz else we will not
have any control on the p2p softwares. And also, we have plans to block the
use of sites like orkut etc. This is not as a part of the FLOSS cell but as
the college senate as I have received complaints telling that people are
wasting simply using orkut and sitting when other students have work to do.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>

--
Cheers :-)
githinATgmailDOTcom