[floss-cec] Re: Our latest plan...

  • From: "Githin Alapatt" <githin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 07:27:30 +0530

You guys dont have to interfere with the blocking orkut and p2p things, its
not the FLOSS cell that does it. its the college senate.

Installing GNU/Linux is not a popularity contest.

On 9/23/06, Shiv Shankar <sshankarp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

i love linux too ... but i dont want people to say "yuck! this lab runs linux systems" ..

dont follow what others do ... if mec'ians and nitc'ians eat shit .. u
xpect cec'ians to eat shit ???

the labs in cet runs windows - orkut and p2p's are blocked there ... in
nitc they didnt block orkut, they only blocked the use of messengers ...

know things b4 u write them ....

On 9/23/06, Amal Krishnan <alterk0de@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> ------------------------- -------------------------
>
> Thats kind ! ..... Well .. i request the We* to do something for college
> site first ! ... And
> better train all those staffs too !
>

> Quoting   ------------------------- -------------------------
> ------------------------- -------------------------
>
> We have to force people in to this kind of a thing, coz else we will not
> have any control on the p2p softwares.
>
>   ------------------------- -------------------------
> ------------------------- -------------------------
>
> Check out !
>
> http://www.surfcontrol.com/
>
> There's lots more ....
>

> Quoting   ------------------------- -------------------------
> ------------------------- -------------------------
>
> MEC has full GNU/Linux there, so does NIT C. I think if they can cope
> up, CEC also can
>
> ------------------------- -------------------------
> ------------------------- -------------------------
>
> We shouldn't be imitating mec or any other college.Both windows and
> linux are great Os'Z and a professional should have good skills in them
> both. Free software isn't all about
> Linux ! ... So do some other things to promote free s/w like making some
> good free software for instance !! ...
>

>                          To conclude, i'd like to take an analogy.
> Replacing all the European closets in our college with Indian ones won't do
> anything to promote Indian Ways ! ..
> As i said previously, freedom is abt having the right to make choices !
> ...  DUAL BOOT !
> Also, this is not a flame ! ... just expressing my opinions ...  Don't u
> love Free As in Free
> Speech ???
>

> On 9/22/06, Githin Alapatt <githin@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> >
> > NOTHING DOING. There will be only a GNU/Linux system there. We will
> > have dual boot, but it will be locked up for any special use,,like you need
> > to connect a scanner or something.
> >
> > Thumb drives do open up on GNU/Linux also.
> >
> > I don't think its a difficult thing to just open up FIrefox and surf
> > and save the necessary data on to a thumb drive. We are also making a page
> > that will tell any idiot how to go about doing common things.
> >
> > We have to force people in to this kind of a thing, coz else we will
> > not have any control on the p2p softwares. And also, we have plans to block
> > the use of sites like orkut etc. This is not as a part of the FLOSS cell but
> > as the college senate as I have received complaints telling that people are
> > wasting simply using orkut and sitting when other students have work to do.
> >
> > MEC has full GNU/Linux there, so does NIT C. I think if they can cope
> > up, CEC also can.
> >
> > On 9/22/06, Shiv Shankar < sshankarp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > What about people who dont know linux ??? U think ur thumb drive
> > > will get mounted up as u plug it in ??? And dual boot does works but u
think
> > > it would be nice if some 1 want s to reboot their machine as they dont

step by step transition would make the matter easier rather than a
systems installed with linux and the rest may run Windows.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>

> > > --
> > > ====