[floss-cec] Re: Install and run Ubuntu without disturbing Windows

  • From: "Alan Haggai Alavi" <alanhaggai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:40:13 +0530

Hi,

It can be done very easily with VM Ware. With VM Ware, one can try out any
OS without really partitioning the HDD.

Regards,
Alan.

On 20/01/07, Shiv Shankar <sshankarp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Want to take Linux for a spin? Forget partitions, dual-boot setups and
live CDs: The new Ubuntu Windows installer lets you run the Linux distro
while keeping the rest of your system intact.
In other words, it's like a live CD without the CD. Just run the
installer, which in turn downloads a disk image of Ubuntu (actually, your
choice of four Ubuntu distros), and then reboot your PC. Choose the desired
boot option from the menu that appears, and presto: You're running Linux.
This is a working prototype, not a finished product, so user beware. It
didn't work on my Vista box (I discovered after the fact that Vista isn't
supported yet), but it ran like a gem on an XP system. Great way to run
Ubuntu without the hassles of partitioning or burning a live CD!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

--
_______
Cheers,

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have
guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Иосиф Виссарионович Сталин