[floss-cec] Install and run Ubuntu without disturbing Windows

  • From: "Shiv Shankar" <sshankarp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-kochi-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, floss-cec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:35:13 +0530

Want to take Linux for a spin? Forget partitions, dual-boot setups and live
CDs: The new Ubuntu Windows installer lets you run the Linux distro while
keeping the rest of your system intact.
In other words, it's like a live CD without the CD. Just run the installer,
which in turn downloads a disk image of Ubuntu (actually, your choice of
four Ubuntu distros), and then reboot your PC. Choose the desired boot
option from the menu that appears, and presto: You're running Linux. This is
a working prototype, not a finished product, so user beware. It didn't work
on my Vista box (I discovered after the fact that Vista isn't supported
yet), but it ran like a gem on an XP system. Great way to run Ubuntu without
the hassles of partitioning or burning a live CD!

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns,
why should we let them have ideas?" -Иосиф Виссарионович Сталин