[fingertipsmusic] This Week's Finds: October 27 (TW Walsh, New God, Caged Animals)

*THIS WEEK'S FINDS <http://www.fingertipsmusic.com>
October 27*

*
**If you are an active recipient of this email, in that you do try to read
and pay attention to it on a semi-regular basis, I am here to remind you
that supportive
**donations<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=5733482>
** are welcome, via PayPal. Small amounts are cool. Repeat donations are
also cool, so if it's been a while, maybe it's time for another one. That
said, if you are a more casual consumer of this weekly missive--maybe you
don't even remember how or why you signed up--that's entirely fine. The
donation thing is only for a special subset, a voluntary option for those
inclined, that's all. There's no obligation here. No salesman will call. **
*

[image: TW Walsh]
“Make It Rhyme” – TW Walsh<http://www.magnetmagazine.com/audio/MakeItRhyme.mp3>

After a delay for some ambient, setting-up noise, “Make It Rhyme” hits upon
an insistent, minor-key groove and boom, it’s got me. Maybe it’s the jangly
tone of the electric guitar, maybe it’s the snare-free drum beat, or maybe
it’s that spooky organ sustain that anchors the song’s rhythm section in
something both humorous and unsettling, but this one has that great
combination of being both instantly likable and deeply appealing. Speaking
of humorous and unsettling, take a listen to the lyrics, which chronicle a
dysfunctional relationship in a series of sardonic couplets, one of which is
the titular “You sing the song/But I make it rhyme.” The extra joke here is
that there are a couple of lines in the song—listen carefully and you’ll
catch them—in which the rhyme is actually missing.

And the extra extra joke here is that the song is very specifically about
Walsh’s long-standing friendship/musical relationship with David Bazan,
erstwhile leader of the band Pedro the Lion. Walsh was the only other
official member of that band; he calls this song “the worst version of
myself complaining about the worst version of Dave,” with the benefit of
some bemused hindsight.

Born Timothy William, Walsh recorded some solo material 10 years ago or so,
and also headed a project called The Soft Drugs in the mid-’00s. He has
spent more time and energy in recent years on his work as an audio engineer;
his specialty is mastering, which he has done for the likes of Sufjan
Stevens, Gabriel Kahane, and the Mynabirds, among many dozens of others. He
has at long last put himself back in front of the microphone; “Make It
Rhyme” is from the album *Songs of Pain and Leisure*, which was released
this month on Graveface Records. MP3 via Magnet
Magazine<http://www.magnetmagazine.com/>
.

[image: New God]
“Motorcar” – New
God<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37984952/1-%20New%20God-%20MotorCar.mp3>

“Motorcar” is brief, slightly undeveloped, and rough-edged—but convincing
where it counts, with its luminous, 16-measure melody and those Beach
Boys-go-to-(lo-fi-)heaven harmonies. Those of you with an aversion to
electronic percussion may want to sit this one out, but me, I can overlook
some sonic crudeness in service of melodic grandeur. The chords are the
classic I-IV-V chords but something majestic is achieved through how they
are manipulated. In the first eight measures, we alternate between the I and
the V chords, no IV chord to be heard, with the melody beginning on the
third note of the I chord; we do not in fact hear the root note of a chord
until the last note in the melody’s first half (first example at 0:38). This
creates a particularly satisfying pivot point and is what allows the melody
to double in length. In the second half the elusive IV chord makes its
necessary appearance (your ear required it, whether you realized it or not),
and at last, as the melody closes out, we get the chords in the “right”
order: I-IV-V.

As usual, the theory stuff sounds stilted and dull in written description
but for whatever reason I find that knowing how songs work like this adds to
my pleasure in listening. Your mileage, as they used to say, may vary. And
all that said, “Motorcar” may still sound somewhat more like a demo than a
song, and yeah it could maybe stand to offer us more than two chorus-free,
bridge-free verses. But every time I go back to this to listen with any kind
of “Wait, maybe I don’t like this after all” skepticism, it wins me over
anew with its insistent lovableness, rough edges and all.

New God is a brand new band, with zero internet presence. There’s a guy
named Kenny Tompkins, from “the foggy mountains of Western Maryland,”
there’s a debut album to be released next month on his own label (RARC), and
that’s about all there is to report. The band hasn’t played any live dates
yet, so Tompkins hasn’t had to decide who’s officially in it at this point.
The guy in the picture with him is his brother, Curt, who is either part of
the band or who was hanging out with him when the photo was shot (by Lindsey
S. Wilson, while we’re naming names). MP3, obviously, via Tompkins. And no
worries about the “dropbox” URL, this one’s fully legal.

[image: Caged Animals]
“Teflon Heart” – Caged
Animals<http://www.luckynumbermusic.com/mpfree/cagedanimalsteflonheart.mp3>

Okay, so after that <http://www.fingertipsmusic.com/?p=8910>, perhaps you’d
like to balance things out with a superbly constructed song and a highly
disciplined production? No problem. “Teflon Heart” is slinky and deliberate,
written with care and performed with controlled New York City cool. I love
the way front man Vincent Cacchione manages to blend a knowing, 21st-century
approach to beats and lyrics with a grander vision of popular music, evoking
’50s doo-wop groups as surely as he does anything current. His words have
hip-hop flair, but the mood is more reflective, the rhythm leisurely, the
beat dominated by actual bass playing, the singing hinting at inner ache
more than outer bravado:

*I know you know I’m not bourgeois
You act like I’m a replica
A ghost inside your retina
That only you can see*

Another highlight is Cacchione’s prickly guitar work, offering up
almost-but-not-quite dissonant solos in between verses, deconstructing both
melody and rhythm as the beat, literally, goes on. And do not overlook the
effectiveness of the central metaphor, which might seem too slick for its
own good but for the subtext conveyed by the singer's plaintive conclusion
“I want one too,” regarding the teflon heart in question.

Caged Animals began as a solo project for the Brooklyn-based Cacchione but
has blossomed into a foursome. “Teflon Heart” is from the album *Eat Their
Own*, released in late September on Lucky Number
Music<http://www.luckynumbermusic.com/>.
MP3 via Lucky Number. Thanks to Largehearted
Boy<http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/>for the head’s up.

* * * * * * *

 "Uninvent the wheel of endless greed
Let conscience run
Like a river like a dreamer....."

 * * * * * * *

*Become a fan of
Fingertips<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fingertips/38130844046>on
Facebook
**
Follow Fingertips on Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/fingertipsmusic>*

To unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time, simply send an email with
the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line to
fingertipsmusic-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx You may then have to reply to the
automated confirmation you receive to complete the process.*
*