Re: zeroing out mailboxes

  • From: "Dominic" <emaildominic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:00:58 +0530

in the options-----import procedure---archive data into the target store. This will clear the content from the source.
----- Original Message ----- From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:04 AM
Subject: [exchangelist] zeroing out mailboxes

In Exchange 2003, is there any way to zero out a mailbox i.e. delete all
it's contents, contacts, folders etc. but not delete the mailbox itself?
I can see options to delete a mailbox and also to purge one, but not an
option to zero out a mailbox.

Reason:  I want to do a final production import of PST files and would
like to start with a clean slate, i.e. empty, initialized mailboxes.
Right now we have been testing several mailboxes and there are all kinds
of test messages etc. in the mailboxes.  As far as I can tell, ExMerge
does not provide for a way to clean out a mailbox when importing it i.e.
delete existing contents and overwrite with contents from PST file.  All
ExMerge operations seem to perform a "Merge" operation in one way or
another.  Even the "Copy" option does not delete anything in the existing
target mailbox as far as I can tell.

The only other option I can see is to delete all mailboxes, then
re-mail-enable each mailbox, add aliases, send a test message to each one
to "initialize" the mailboxes, etc. etc. but that seems like a pretty
convoluted thing to do vs. "zeroing out a mailbox".

best regards

List Archives:
World of Windows Networking:
Leading Network Software Directory: