RE: wireless access

  • From: Andrea Coppini <AndreaCoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:12:24 +0200

If he wants to access the folders ONLINE (ie. Directly on the server), he
simply has to set up Outlook on his laptop and Pocket Outlook on his PDA to
connect to the exchange server, just as you would any regular PC.

A couple of things to consider though.

1> Firewall
If you have a firewall between your exch. Server and the internet,  you
probably (should) have 'exchange-specific' ports closed to the internet, so
the PDA/laptop would not be able to access it online over a standard ISP

Solution to this would be to use a VPN (we do this and works nicely) to
create an encrypted tunnel between the laptop/pda and the firewall.  There
are VPN clients available for Pocket PC for most VPN firewalls.

2> Costs
Accessing a mailbox online over a mobile phone can be quite costly, since
the user will stay connected and send/recieve packets for the entire
duration of Outlook being open.

You might want to consider using Offline folders and setting up an 802.11b
or Bluetooth small LAN for this guy to synchronize his mailbox with exchange
when in his office.  He will then be able to access it offline, but he
obviously won't recieve any new mails.