RE: weird attachment

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:57:00 -0700

Denise,

Outlook sends a .dat attachment as part of any e-mail that is in
"Outlook Rich Text Format" -- it contains all the formatting information
(font size, colors, layout, etc.).  If the receiving client is Outlook
it automatically opens this file and uses it to display the e-mail with
all the original nice formatting & layout (and doesn't show the .dat
attachment), but if it's NOT Outllok, then it doesn't know how to do it
and simply shows the .dat attachment.  The solution is to have your
users know who they're sending the e-mail to (and whether they have
Outlook), or use "Plain Text" or "HTML" formatting in their e-mails
(note that some e-mail clients --like "Pine"-- can ONLY display Plain
text e-mail.  There are also ways of having Exchange strip this .dat
file before it's sent OUTSIDE of your organization.

Hope this helps.

Alfonso