RE: way to allow using internet account for sending when offline

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:51:36 -0400

Do you have your Outlook 2000 client setup to use both Exchange (MAPI) and
Internet Email accounts?  It sounds like you have your outlook clients
configured to send mail immediately rather than waiting for a connection to
send mail.  SMTP never comes into play (at the client level) when using
Exchange with Outlook 2000 when configured in Corporate Mode.  Outgoing
messages are sent to the exchange server via MAPI and then the exchange
server sends the message out.

I have not used Outlook 2000 for a while but if I remember correctly there
are setting on handling the sending of email in offline mode. You need to set
outlook to wait until it's online to send. One of the settings is to send
immediately which obviously won't work when you don't have a connection. The
message should hang out it your outbox until you make a MAPI connection.