RE: users with same cn in an OU

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:33:17 -0400

You are correct.  As long as the UPN, samaccountname, and RDN are unique,
then they can be created. To the system, it's usually a GUID anyway.
  

-----Original Message-----
From: Monika Rabarison [mailto:monika.k.rabarison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 5:28 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: users with same cn in an OU

http://www.MSExchange.org/

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Mulnick, Al wrote:

> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> Couple of things come to mind.
> I prefer to just get rid of the dead weight and only issue accounts to 
> those that have a unique name; it cuts down on admin overhead. ;)

I agree.

> 
> Similar to SMTP addresses in a domain, there can be only one.  In your 
> case, you can have more than one cn assuming that RDN is unique and 
> UPN/samaccountname are unique.  My preference is to keep the CN and 
> samAccountName  unique as it doesn't confuse the user.
> 

Not very sure I understand here.
So, can there be an account with cn=John L. Smith, ou=Management,
dc=testdomain, dc=com, sAMAccountName=jsmith, and an other account with
cn=John L. Smith, ou=testdomain, dc=com, sAMAccountName=smithj? In other
words are these two accounts distincts?

Thanks,

Monika
  
> In practice, you can make the samaccountname different than the cn 
> (and it typically is by default) but you'll need some sort of 
> tie-breaking method such as adding a character, numeral, etc.
> 
> Al
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Monika Rabarison [mailto:monika.k.rabarison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 4:03 PM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] users with same cn in an OU
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> What to do if one has two users with exactly the same full name in an 
> OU? In other words, how to make their accounts unique?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Monika
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security
Library:
> http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
> http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
> al.mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network 
> Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax 
> Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List 
> as: monika.k.rabarison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 




------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading
Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows Security
Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library:
http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
al.mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Other related posts: