RE: users with same cn in an OU

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:03:44 -0400

Couple of things come to mind.
I prefer to just get rid of the dead weight and only issue accounts to those
that have a unique name; it cuts down on admin overhead. ;)

Similar to SMTP addresses in a domain, there can be only one.  In your case,
you can have more than one cn assuming that RDN is unique and
UPN/samaccountname are unique.  My preference is to keep the CN and
samAccountName  unique as it doesn't confuse the user.

In practice, you can make the samaccountname different than the cn (and it
typically is by default) but you'll need some sort of tie-breaking method
such as adding a character, numeral, etc.

Al