RE: user not receiving messages

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:45:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Is this happening only for external emails, or for both internal and
> external? If you sent an internal email to this user with delivery
> confirmation, do you get a delivery confirmation? How many Exchange
> servers do you have in your organization? What roles do they play?

Local mail arrives OK (OWA to OWA).  Thus is a stand-alone Exxhang 2003
server, all in one (no separate FE/BE servers).  No spam/virus filters are
runing.

Mike

> -----Original Message-----
> From: A. Michael Salim [mailto:msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 10:20 AM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] RE: user not receiving messages
>
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi,
>
> > 1) From the user mailbox, send a test message to yahoo, gmail
> whatever.
>
> This works, message arrives at gmail.
>
> > 2) From yahoo, gmail, reply back to the same message, does it arrive ?
>
> Message does not show up in mailbox, nor does it bounce back to gmail.
> message tracking center actually sees the message and claims it was
> delivered to user.
>
> > 3) If not, check the user Outlook profile, and confirm the default
> > delivery location is the server mailbox, and not a Personal Folder.
>
> I am checking from OWA, no message.  No Outlook client is connected.
> Nothing in junk mailbox either.  Somehow the message is getting lost
> between the time that Exchange gets it, and the message is supposedly
> delivered to the Exchange user.
>
> Mike
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: A. Michael Salim [mailto:msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 1:51 AM
> > To: [ExchangeList]
> > Subject: [exchangelist] user not receiving messages
> >
> > http://www.MSExchange.org/
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having a really strange issue with one user on an Exchange 2003
> box
> > and am scratching my head.  All other users (some 120 user) are
> sending
> > and receiving messages fine, except for this one user.
> >
> > When I send a message to the user (from remote, e.g. test messages
> from
> > gmail or hotmail), there is no bounce.  The Exchange server actually
> > sees
> > the message, and the message tracker also shows the message in it's
> logs
> > and apparently claims that the message was delivered to the user.  But
> > the
> > user's mailbox always shows "no messages".  Event logs do not show any
> > errors.  The user does not have any filters or anything else
> configured
> > in
> > Outlook that is swallowing the mesage (I confirmed this by changing
> the
> > password so even if the user had something wierd configured in their
> > Outlook, they would be blocked from pulling the message down anymore).
> > OWA also shows an empty mailbox.  The user is able to send messages,
> but
> > not receive.
> >
> > It's almost as if the message is arriving at the exchange server, and
> is
> > being acceptted for delivery to the local user, and then disappearing
> > into
> > some black hole.  Very odd.
> >
> > Any ideas where I should look next?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > List Archives:
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> > Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> > World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> > Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> > No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> > Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> > Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> > Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List
> as:
> > raj.periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To unsubscribe visit
> > http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > List Archives:
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> > Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> > World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> > Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> > No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> > Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> > Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> > Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List
> as: msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To unsubscribe visit
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> > Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
> raj.periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
> Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
> Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
> Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
> Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as: 
> msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>



Other related posts: