upgrade process

  • From: "Ara" <ara@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:12:00 -0700

Hello everyone

I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I am trying to
focus on process

We have 2 servers. One as domain controller 2000 and one as secondary
domain controller 2000 with exchange 2000. Now I want to upgrade both to
2003 and also have a 2 new server to become pdc and faster mail server.
This is what I think should be doing so please correct me if I am wrong

1.      install 2003 server on one of new ones and make it a domain
controller
2.      wait 24 hours and seize the role to this machine so it becomes
the primary domain controller
3.      wait 24 hours and technically exchange should be technically
pointing to this new server 2003 as first option
4.      upgrade os on exchange to 2003
5.      upgrade exchange itself to 2003 and put service pack 1 on it
6.      Now use the second new machine, install server and exchange 2003
and follow instruction on how to keep the same server name. Take the old
exchange server offline. this way I can just copy log file and database
store to new server

Thank you for comments