understanding storage groups, stores, and exchange databases

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:16:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi guys,

Can anyone shed light on this official Microsoft description of Exchange
2003 editions:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/editions.mspx

According to this page, in the table labeled "Choose Your Edition" the
Standard Edition can have 4 storage groups, with 5 databases per storage
group.  But then the next row states that there is a limit of 1 mailbox
store database per server.  So what am I missing?

Can I have 20 mailbox store databases on the server (4 SG's with 5 DB's
per SG) or just one?  There seems to be some fine print here that I am
just not seeing.

Any pointers to a desription of the difference between "databases" and
"mailbox store databases" (and MAPI and Public Folders) would be most
helpful, the more detailed the better (more info than found in KB 258509
at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258509).

best regards
Mike