[ExchangeList] understanding distribution groups

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:19:47 -0400

Hi all,
I am trying to get an understanding of Exchange distribution groups.  While I understand these in a cursory way, I just do not seem to be able to find a satisfactry answer to these questions:
a) What is the difference between Domain Local, Global, and Universal distribution groups?  When would I use each type?  When would I *NOT* use each type?
b) What is the difference between a "Security" group and a "Distribution" group exactly?  What does one do that the other does not?  When would I use one versus the other?
(the one thing I do understand is query based distribution groups, and there seems to be plenty of documentation around on that topics).
Everywhere I have looked, it seems that there is a broad assumption that everyone knows what these are.  It is almost as if the differences between these are arbitrary and you can use any of the above in any situation.  Surely that is not true, so I am trying to get a clearer understanding of these concepts.
Any assistance or links to tutorials on this topic would be greatly appreciated.