Re: thoughts, views and hello

  • From: Dennis Depp <dennis.depp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:32:47 -0500

What I like best about Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 is RPC over
HTTPS.  This is great!  We had a few problems with our migration that
were really just stupid errors.  We are running 1 BE server (cluster)
and two FE servers (load balanced.)  When we installed the new cluster
to migrate to Exchange 2003, we were not able to get mail to flow
between the two machines.  It turns out we had an MX record for our
Exchange box that was pointing to a PMDF server.  When Exchange would
connect to the PMDF server, but it would format the message in an
Exchange specific format.  Once we got the mail flowing the rest of
the migration was a piece of cake.  Moral move one or two mailboxes
and ensure mail is moving between Exchange servers.

Our migration to Windows 2003 on the domain controllers had one
glitch.  We are running Bind DNS.  For each Domain Controller we ran
DCPROMO to demote the server, removed it from AD and did a fresh
install of W2k3.  Then we ran dcpromo to make it a DC again.  On the
last server, something happened with the DNS records on the BIND
server.  This stopped replication between the DCs.  We did not realize
there was a problem until we moved 300+ mailboxes to a new Storage
Group and they could not access the Exchange server because two domain
controllers thought the Exchange mailboxes were in two different
storage groups.  Moral:  make sure replication is occuring after
changes to the domain controllers.

Dennis