source mail server IP differs from MX IP: potential blacklist ramifications?

  • From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:37:17 -0600

Hi there,

My eyes have been swimming from all the reading I did this weekend, and this
last issue was when I was a couple short of a six-pack...both literally and
figuratively.

We are dealing with SPAM (who isn't). But have no real solution in place right
now. One particularly attractive option: not making it my problem.

My company recently merged with another company, which has an IT staff of 12 to
my one with apprentice. They have Saphos Puremessage for Unix in place, and
offered to help.

The idea seems simple enough.
I modify my MX to their perimeter X.X.X.X server.
They filter and forward to our server based on a table entry similar to DNS.

However, all my sent messages will originate from my Y.Y.Y.Y ip (I'd rather not
have it go back through their system)

So, does this pose a potential issue regarding blacklists. I *believe* one
method of determining SPAM sources is a comparison of source IP to public
record (MX)? Or am I really way off on the idea of Reverse DNS?

Thanks for the insights! Dan