[ExchangeList] sbs 2008 ssl cert replacement - how to do

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:44:32 -0800

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Okay, recently completed
a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 including the
existing SSL cert which is due to expire in about a week.

Knowing that generally one wants a UC SSL cert for Exchange 2007 and the old
cert provider is not around anymore (registrfly) and the client being a non
profit has arrangments with IPSCA for free certs, it's time to start from
scratch.

I want to have the least amount of disruption for the end users that are
using Outlook/Mapi in the office, same over VPN and also using OWA.

Best I can tell, I'll need to remove the existing cert from IIS to generate
the new CSR for IPSCA, that'll mean that OWA no longer works and same for
RPC, but that mapi access should still work fine.

I see 2 ways around this

1) generate csr on a different unrelated machine, I have access to IIS6 on
SBS 2003, install cert and export it in pfx format along with the private
key, then import into SBS2k8/IIS7.

2) remove current cert breaking owa and rpc until new cert is provided,
generate csr and install new cert once verification is completed by IPSCA

My concerns: cert install with IIS7/Ex2k7 as talking to other admins and
doing a bit of reading, things are different in that environment where ssl
certs are concerned. I've heard and read both that you have to install the
new cert using IIS AND using the Exchange Console, other reading suggests
only one or the other is necessary to accomplish this.

Given a recent situation where I provided a new cert using method1 above to a
client's managed exchange provider and then had mail stop working for all the
staff at 3 offices after they installed it, I am leery... Everyone uses RPC
and any email sent/received that way stopped working, owa/webmail worked but
at the same time one of the mail transports died so email wasn't going in or
out. A bit of a nightmare.

I'm hoping for a smoother transition with this SBS2k8 machine.

Comments?

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting