replocating a server

  • From: "steve alcock" <steve.alcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:29:10 +0100

Hi all,

  I having a few problems with a replicated domain controller and
exchange server. I'm running 2 windows 2000 advanced servers, one
replicating the other (hopefully setup correctly).

On the replicating server I am running exchange server 2000; all of
which seem to be running correctly.

  My problem is that I want the system to continue functioning if the
primary domain controller fails; when I turn the primary off to test
this, the domain side of things still works as the users can still
log-on, but the exchange server service "Microsoft Exchange Information
Service" fails with the error:

Event Type:      Error

Event Source:  MSExchangeDSAccess

Event Category:           None

Event ID:          2069

Date:                30/07/2005

Time:               13:54:35

User:                N/A

Process STORE.EXE" (PID=1928).  Dsaccess could not find any Global
Catalog servers in the enterprise.  Promote one or more of your Domain
Controllers to a Global Catalog to allow dsaccess to function properly.

For more information, click

Has anybody any idea as to why exchange fails when the primary domain
controller fails??

Also I am hoping to replicate exchange server so that it is running on
both servers, so that no matter which server goes down, everything is
still operational. Does anybody know firstly if this is possible, and if
so, is there a tutorial to show me how??

Many thanks

  Paul alcock for Steve Alcock

Calderglen Computers

Calder House