[ExchangeList] Re: relocating storage location

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:08:25 -0400

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your detailed answer.  Sorry if my terminology is confusing, I will try to be precise.  Here is my answer to your questions:
1.  I wanted to move one of my Storage Groups (and everything contained therein, i.e. the all the associated database files) from one drive to another, on an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server. So ...
2.  In ESM, I went to the properties of the Storage Group and changed the "Transaction Log Location" and the "System Path Location" to the new chosen location on the new drive (having first created the blank folders of course).
3.  As a result, I saw messages which went through the process of dismounting the store, moving "something", and remounting the store, and then a "success" message.  It went by too quickly, a few seconds.  My EDB and STM files were about 7GB in size total.  When I checked I saw that the small 5M transaction log files had moved, and that was it.  The EDB and STM files had not moved.
4.  So eventually after poking around, I saw that the properties for the Mailbox Store (not the storage group) were still showing the old location in the Database tab.  So I changed the locations for the "Exchange Database" and "Exchange Streaming Database" to the new locations, in the Database tab in the Properties for the Mailbox Store, and that's when the mpve happened.  All went well, as I explained.
5.  So that left me with a question:  when does it make sense to have the Storage Group pointing to one place, and the Mailbox Store EDB and STM files pointing to another?  And for that matter, what exactly is the "Storage Group" if not the collection of Mailbox Stores and Public Folders i.e. database files?  And I guess the answer is"  The Storage Group defines where the TRANSACTION LOGS are kept (I still have not figured out what the "System Path Location" does) and the "Mailbox Store" defines where the EDB and STM files are kept, and changing the Storage Group location does not affect the Mailbox Store location.
Hope that helped explain what I was asking about.
Best regards

On 10/9/06, Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Wait, maybe I am reading something incorrectly here, but what I read before is you went to the database properties and changed the location, and it didn't correctly dismount, move, and remount the databases.

Then you went to the mailbox properties and changed the DATABASE location?

Where did you seet his setting precisely?

I think you're mis-stating things a bit.  I'll run through how this is supposed to work, maybe you can confirm or deny some of this in your environment.

to move the database(s) you go to the properties of the mailbox STORE and change the location using the 'browse' feature typically.  Exchange then dismounts, moves, and remounts the DB store.  The files themselves are copied to the new location, then deleted from the old location once the remount is done.  (I think, could be slightly off on the timing there).

If your mailbox was IN that store, it was moved.

If your mailbox was in a different store, well, it wasn't moved unless you go into DSA.MSC and use the move mailbox wizrd – moving it to the new store (presumably in the new location, as above) would then move all the data (well again, copy the data, then flag for delete in the old store).  What you would THEN see is the new store would grow by the size of the mailbox, and the old store would be the same side, albeit with significantly more white space in the file.

In summary: You should NEVER have to 'move' a user mailbox to move a store.  You should NEVER have to manually move and delete store database files to effect a database move.

If you did what you're saying (some of which admittedly I'm not sure you really CAN do), I suspect you have a problem that you may not know about.