[ExchangeList] relocating storage location

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 07:58:16 -0400

Hi all,
On a Exchange 2003 server, I am trying to move one Storage Area from one drive to another.  So I went into the ESM, properties of the Storage Area, and changed the location from the old drive to the new drive (having created the necessary empty folder tree on the new drive where I wanted the storage storage database files to be moved to.  The DB files are about 4G and 2G in size (EDB and STM).
As expected, I got a message that the database will be dismounted, is it OK?  I said OK.  The database got dismounted in a few seconds, then got remounted a few seconds later, with a "success" message.  So far so good.  In fact, too good, since I expected a 7GB move to take more that 2-3 seconds!
Sure enough, on checking, the DB files are still in the old location.  The new drive is not showing any EDB or STM files but there is a tiny tmp.edb file there.  However the ESM is showing all the mailboxes, and as far as I can tell, all users are also able to see all their mailboxes as before, no issues.
So when do the database files get physically moved?  or did I jave to physically move them myself??!!
TIA and Best regards