[ExchangeList] Re: recommended method to get location of a users Exchange 2010 mailbox

  • From: Milind Naphade <milind.naphade@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:17:02 +0530

The other method that you have mentioned is more accurate when your databases are a part of a DAG.

-
Milind Naphade

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Howard Rappaport <howie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’m trying to script a mechanism to accurately get the location of a user’s 2010 mailbox … ok really looking to do it for 1000+ users at once and then count who’s on what actual server.

Will my AD attribute msExchHomeServerName be an accurate data source (especially in the case that my DAG could flop around to a different active server)?

If not what about my AD Attribute homeMDB and then cross-referencing that with the MDB’s attribute msExchangeOwningServer?

My end goal is to be able to on a scheduled interval (15-30 minutes), know the active servers that all of my mailboxes are on at that time.  I’ve chosen this time interval to keep impact on AD limited where possible … but am open to other ideas that have minimal impact on AD/Exchange (I’ve got no problem parsing / sorting data locally).

Howie