RE: prevent user from access his mailbox

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:35:17 -0500

Odd request.  I'm very interested in hearing why you want to do this.  What
business requirements push this?

As for how to accomplish it, what if you delete the mailbox and then
reattach it to another account?  Not that I've ever tried this, but it seems
like it would work.  Maybe.  At least, I can't think of a reason it wouldn't
work off the top of my head.  Unless the permissions came back?  Have to
test this obviously.

Or you could fiddle with permissions on the mailbox itself, taking away the
user's rights and giving them to someone else.  Again, be sure you validate
your changes in a test environment before you go off in the production
environment.

Would you ever have a need to give the old user access to their mailbox
again?  If so, you'd want to verify that scenario as well.

The typical deal most companies are looking for  is disabling the account,
as in, an employee leaves but you want to keep the mailbox in place for some
period, so a manager / replacement can access the data.

So again I ask, what drivers require employees to lose their mailbox and not
their account?