pop3 & smtp services stops

  • From: "Shiraz Ahmed" <sheerutas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:46:22 -0600

I have been facing the subject problem for a long time now.  I  have a
windows 2000 and exchange server 2000 with service pack 2. I am also using
scanmail for exchange.

Once in a week my exchange server stops functioning and the users are not
able to send and receive emails.  when i open to check the system manager
under protocols i see a red cross on default pop3, smtp, http virual
server.  I have to restart my server every time i face this problem, then
it works.

I checked the event viewer and find out this description:

1) Event:

   Source: POP3SVC

   Type  : Warning

   Event ID : 1036

                 POP3 Service: server instance number 1 failed to start
                 with error 0x2740

2) Event:

   Source: SMTPSVC
   Type  : Error
   Event ID: 115
                error code.  For additional information specific to this
                message please visit the Microsoft Online support located
                at:  http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp

some one could tell me what the problem is?