RE: open relay on Exchange 2000

  • From: "Julio Danoviz" <jedanoviz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:57:57 -0300

Yes, but an interesting issue is mail spoofing:

One of the vulnerabilities of the SMTP protocol is that it is possible to
attack closed relays... the only thing you have to do is send an email to a
fake email address, doing this the email will be sent back to the sender (that
could be anybody from any domain I wish!).

 I could also include an attach... and the SMTP server would deliver this
information included in the NDR!

It's easy to see that I could generate a denial of service with this method
using the SMTP server's resources and also attacking if I desire the "sender".

Unless you disallow non-delivery reports and perform reverse DNS lookups on
incoming messages... but this has several disadvantages...