new guy

  • From: "paul" <pauldriver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:25:17 -0600

Hello eveybody!
This is my first post so please be gentle..

I have been given the task to transfer existing exchange 5.5 servers to a
2000 server.
Coming from a lotus notes background, I have limited hands on experience
with exchange.

If any of you good people could give me a few answers to my queries, it
would be much appreciated.

History:
This 2000 server will be both the DC and the exchange server. The
exisisting NT box will be de-commissioned. I will be moving around 70
mailboxes for an office of up to 160 personnel.

They currently have two servers, the 2000 dc, and the exchange 5.5 server,
which are connecting to there ISP via ISDN.

They have an application called popcon to distribute the pop mail to
relevant internal mailboxes.

The steps I believe I should perform are: (please correct me in anyway for
I need it!)

1.      Perform backups on both servers
2.      Propagate the 2000 DC A/D with accounts with mailboxes disabled
(may have already been done)

3.      Install IIS, NNTP etc..

4.      Run exchange ADC on the 2000 DC to make a connection agreement to NT
5.5.

5.      Run forest prep and domain prep

6.      move mailboxes to 2000 DC

I know this is a short biography, but as I said I have limited hands on
with exchange.

Queries:
Do I need to pre prep the 5.5 exchange server in anyway

What SP?s will I need?

Will this popcon work with 2000?

Is this the correct way of my mail boxe transfer?