multiple smtp domains on the same server/domain

  • From: "Mark Sudron" <marks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList] \(E-mail\)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:06:49 -0000

hi,

we have a 2k server running exchange 2000 standard. we want to run 3 small
organisations email from it. checked various articles which made it look
quite straightforward but when i came to try it out, it seems you need
enterprise edition to follow the main solution offered (different mailbox
stores etc)

does anyone have any ideas of how this can be done with what we've got?

i was thinking about deleting the default global address list and setting up
filtered lists by email address (eg everyone with xyz.org gets one list,
abc.org gets another).
this looks like it will work but you can't filter distribution groups by
email address (we're talking about small amounts which could almost be added
to each address list on a case by case basis)

my main concerns are:

deleting the default global address list - is there anything i should watch
out for with this
the whole approach feels like a cludge and may become unmanageable as the
organisations grow. is there a more flexible solution we could be looking at
(without upgrading to enterprise edition)
security - the organisations all have common it support resources. these are
the only people with admin level access. are there any other areas of
security i should be aware of?

thanks
mark