migrating accounts from Exch 2000 to REMOTE Exch 2003

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:08:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am getting ready to migrate about 400 users who are currently on Exch
2000 to a new Exch 2003 server.  I am somewhat familiar with the procedure
for moving mailboxes when both servers are in the same forest or LAN e.g.
using the "exchange 2003 move mailbox wizard", but I have a slight
complication.  The old Exchange 2000 server is in a different city, it
belongs to a completely different organization, we have no Administrator
access to it and there is no feasibility of having any direct connection
with it.  This old Exchange 2000 server also hosts many other
organizations and the current hosting company will not want to give us
direct access to that Exchange 2000 server.  And the data size is
substantial, somewhere between 10GB and 20GB total.  I have read up on the
documentation such as:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange_2003_Move_Mailbox_Wizard.html

The admins at the old Exchange 2000 server are willing to export whatever
data we need to a USB drive which they will ship to us.  So what should I
tell them to export to the USB and how?  I would like to get the mailbox
contents, the PST files, the shared calendars, shared public folders,
global address lists, and distribution lists.

And once I have the USB drive, what is the best way to import the data?

TIA for your help!

best regards
Mike.