RE: messages stuck in queue "awaiting directory lookup"

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:30:28 -0400 (EDT)

> What happens when you send to an external recipient, is it getting
> through or gets queued up. How many Exchange servers do you have ?
> If you have multiple servers, are these messages waiting in queue in the
> server where the mailboxes are located, or is it queued in a different
> Exchange server ?

sending to external users works fine.  There is only one Exchange server
for this organization, no FE/BE or clustering etc.

As an aside: The exchange server is running the MS DNS server integrated
into the Active Directory with a forward zone for the exchange server's
external domain name (  The main domain's
nameserver is hosted elsewhere (for and is running on
a non-Windows server and has an "A" record pointing to the exchange server
(, and that NS also has MX records pointing to  I mention all this because it was stuck in
the "Awaiting directory lookup" queue wwhich could possibly be related to
DNS, but then again, maybe not.  Like I said, restarting DNS server did
not help.