Re: merging of two companies - urgent help required

  • From: <Paul_Lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:57:24 +0100

Hi Sanjay

I am afraid that merging to AD Forests togther is not strictly possible. However, there are third party tools to allow them to coexist. I must admit I cannot remember them off the top of my head. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of meta directory services could assist there but to be honest from what you describe this would not solve your issue. The only other option I can see is deleting one Domain and recreating the resources of it in the other. I do not know the numbers or political, application or security issues involved so it hard to say much beyond this.

In regard of Exchange 5.5 you have two options. The first is to use the Move Server Wizard to join the two current Organsations together. This may be the simplest course of action as it will have minimal impact on your AD at this stage. The other option is to wait until you AD is all sorted and then upgrade both Org's to 2003 and merge them in to single AD forest at that time. To be honest this is not the simplest course of action and is not straightforward.

I really do not have enough information to say any more than this at this time as I do not know any deatils of your network infrastructure etc. How many sveres, domains etc etc?

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sanjay Choudhary" <SChoudhary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>